Is My Child Ready to Begin Preschool or Kindergarten?
How do I know if my child is ready for school?
Entering Preschool or Kindergarten is an exciting time for you and your child; it’s an important first step in their educational journey and for many the first time they are on their own.
We would like the transition to preschool or kindergarten to be as smooth as possible for you and your child. The following are some suggestions to consider before registering your child for preschool.
All of the following questions should be considered before registering your child for preschool:
- Is your child able to use the washroom and do simple tasks for themselves? (Such as, putting their clothes and shoes on.)
- Is your child able to be away from you for short periods of time?
- Have you enrolled your child in any play groups or left them to play at a friend or families house for a short period of time?
- Is your child able to sit for meals and feed themselves?
- Is your child able to follow simple directions?
- Is your child curious and willing to learn?
- Does your child like to play with other children?
- Does your child play cooperatively with other children?
- Is your child able to stay focused on an activity or story for at least 5-10 minutes?
- How well does your child get along with other adults and how well do they listen to them?
- How do they react when behavior is corrected?
If you are still not sure about your child attending preschool, make some time to visit the school with your child and speak with the Teacher or the Director to discuss your concerns.