There are still available registration spots available in our afternoon class if you know of anyone still looking for a spot.
September 6th – Labour Day
September 7-9th – Orientation Week
September 10th – Teacher Planning Day
September 13th – First day of classes
September 15th – General Membership Meeting (6:00 pm)
September 22nd – Board Meeting (6:00 pm)
September 24th – October Newsletter
September 26th – LCDS Bingo Event
September 29th – Orange Shirt Day
September 30th – Truth & Reconciliation Day – No School
Upcoming Events for October
October 2nd – LCDS Family Event – TBA
October 2nd – Family Photo Fundraiser
October 4-7th – Reading Week
October 8th – Photo Day
October 11th – Thanksgiving Monday – No School
October 16th – LCDS Bingo Event
October 25th – 29th – Halloween Week
October 27th – Board Meeting
October 31st – Halloween (No School)
The office is open Monday to Friday, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. Messages and emails will be monitored until 3:30pm. After 3:30pm messages will not be returned until the following work day. We ask you to send all emails and messages for the staff and the board through the office and Ms. Shannon will forward them to the appropriate member.
Gateway Alliance Church and Little Genius Daycare
Please remember LCDS is a tenant of Gateway Alliance Church. It is a working church with staff in the building during the day. Little Genius Daycare is also a tenant and in operation daily. When you and your children are inside the building, we ask that you remind your children to use their “walking feet” and their “inside voices”.
Parking and Entrances
Please park on the WEST and NORTH sides of the building and use the NORTH side entrance to enter and leave the building. Please monitor and supervise your children at all times in the parking lot. Do not park along the sidewalk on the West or North side of the building; this will only be allowed for someone with mobility issues who would require the close access to the doors. Little Genius also has school buses picking up and dropping off children. If the large orange pylons are blocking off the North Parking lot, please park in the West parking areas.
First Day of Classes
Regular Classes will begin on Monday September 13th, 2021. Children will attend on the days they have been registered for.
· Kindergarten & Jr. K students will enter the classroom 15 minutes earlier than the Preschool students every day.
· The classroom door opens 5 minutes before the Kindergarten class begins, the doors will then close and will re-open at the appropriate Preschool time.
· DUE to COVID – Please do not arrive extremely early. Plan to arrive just on time.
AM Class Times:
K & Jr K: 8:45am – 11:45am
Preschool: 9:00am – 11:45am
PM Class Times:
K & Jr K: 12:45pm – 3:45pm
Preschool: 1:00pm – 3:45pm
We will be holding Orientation sessions for the children and their parents on Sept. 7th, 8th and 9th. Individual emails confirming your child’s enrolment days and Orienation session were sent out in August. **If you will be away during the orientation week, please let the office know so we can arrange a make up orientation session.
Parent Helper Schedules – PLEASE RESPOND TO THE OFFICE
· We are preparing the Parent Helper Schedule for September. If you have availability restrictions for the month of September, please forward your date requests to the office Thursday, Sept 9th, 2021. Please give us at least 2 or more date options for the month of September, please ensure your available dates fall on a day your child will attend class (If your child attends Tuesday and Thursday morning, make sure your availability falls on a Tuesday or Thursday morning). You can email your availability to the office or you can sign up at the school during your scheduled orientation.
· Availability will be from September 13th – 29th. We will schedule 1 parent for each day, some families will not be scheduled in September; we will schedule you for the beginning of October. On each day, you will be responsible for bringing the scheduled snack and the beverage.
· The September Parent Helper Schedule will be posted and emailed on Friday September 10th.
· Those who do not respond, will be scheduled where we have availability and it will be your responsibility to find a replacement or trade with another family if you cannot make the scheduled date.
· If you do not show up for your Parent Helper day, your deposit cheque will be cashed. We also have an emergency parent helper list available if you need to pay someone to cover your day.
General Meeting Reminder
· Wednesday, September 15th, 2021. This will be a virtual meeting on Zoom. Start time is 6:00 pm; one member of each family is encouraged to attend as your input helps to shape and develop the quality educational program we have operated for over 50 years this next September. Login directions will be sent out by email.
· Fundraising Initiatives and general plans for the year will be discussed.
· We need volunteers to fill the following positions (The Executive Director will not take over these positions if they are not filled): Bingo Coordinator Cleaning Coordinator Yearbook AM (2 people) Yearbook PM (2 people) Maintenance/Storage AM & PM Class Gym Equipment transportation PM Class Social Committee (2 more) Please contact the office if you are interested in helping with any of the above
Class Dojo App
We will be using the Class Dojo App again this year to send out pertinent reminders to help you stay organized. We will ask everyone to sign up during Orientation Week. We will provide you with a sign up code in your Orientation packages. The Class Dojo App works with your Smart Phones and you will receive text messages reminding you of upcoming events and special days when you sign up. For those who do not have a Smart Phone, we will continue to send out email reminders as well. Ms. Michell can also be contacted through class Dojo and she will post pictures and videos throughout the year.
The LCDS Website became obsolete at the end of June with Telus making changes to their hosting algorithms. We are working on a new site and it is still under construction. We are working on a new site which will be more functional. We just received the first draft of the site and we need to update content. We hope to have it up and working in a few weeks.
Like us and Follow us on Facebook!! Parents can checkout posts from our classroom and links to parent information on the LCDS Preschool & Kindergarten Facebook page. Sammy will also make appearances from time to time to share his adventures.
Birth Certificates, Fees & Deposit Cheques
· Remember to bring in a copy of your child’s Birth Certificate or passport before September 30th. We require a copy to validate your child’s birth date.
· Submit your Volunteer Commitment Deposit cheques and your monthly fees for your child’s first day of school. Volunteer Commitment deposits are paid by undated cheques. Monthly fees can be paid by e-transfer, cash or cheque. All monthly fees volunteer deposit cheques, and opt out payments (this includes paying for paid workers) are due by September 17th, 2021. The Family Fundraising fee will be $300.00 for this year.
· Select your Bingo dates and Classroom Cleaning date. We will need to fill the September 26th Bingo date first!! All bingo dates are listed in the Bingo section. You can email the office with your preference. Cleaning dates are also listed in the cleaning section.
· If you haven’t signed up for a volunteer position, we still have a few more to fill. Please consider volunteering for the Bingo Chairperson position (two volunteers can share the position), Cleaning Coordinator (two volunteers can share the position), Digital Yearbook coordinators for AM Class and PM Class. We need to fill these positions!! The Executive Director, Business Manager and Teacher will guide you throughout the year, so don’t be afraid to volunteer, we will give you lots of support!
· Please update your personal information if any changes occurred over the summer such as your address or cell phone number, emergency contacts, etc.
COVID SAFETY MEASURES
LCDS Board and Staff Members hope for the safety of all parties concerned that all parents are completely vaccinated. All LCDS Staff Members have voluntarily chosen to be fully vaccinated and have agreed to share that information with our members. We are not allowed by law to ask parents if they are fully vaccinated, but if you choose to share that information with us voluntarily it is acceptable.
To ensure the continued safety of all parties involved, especially the children we will be mandating the following safety measures. All school authorities have the power to execute their own safety measures as they see fit. The LCDS Board of Directors voted to continue with the following safety measures.
Hand Sanitizing: We ask that all members sanitize their hands as they enter the facility. Hand sanitizer will be available in the entrance vestibule.
COVID Health Questionnaire: The COVID health questionnaire will be available by QR code. Please review the questionnaire daily to ensure your child is well and they are able to attend school. If you have travelled outside of Canada, please follow the required Alberta Health isolation or quarantine procedures before your child returns to school.
General Health Check upon Arrival: When you arrive at school, before entering the classroom hallway, a staff member will do a general health check with your child and take their temperature. Temperatures of 37.5 degrees or higher will be sent home. During winter months wear the children are wearing warm clothing, we will take their temperature a second time if the first temperature was high.
Masking: All Parents and Staff will wear masks inside the school. Masks are still optional for the children but are encouraged. If your child will be wearing a mask, please practice putting the mask on and taking it off with your child at home. Proper mask use includes sanitizing hands before and after applying or removing the mask. Staff will follow this procedure at snack time. Please pack spare masks in your child’s back pack. Please put them in a Ziploc bag, labelled with your child’s name. If your child arrives wearing a mask and they happen to soil or drop their mask on the floor and there isn’t a spare one in their back pack, we will not have a replacement mask for them.
Spare Clothing: During COVID we will refrain from using the school emergency clothing unless there is no other alternative. Please pack spare emergency clothes in your child’s back pack (shirt, pants, underwear and socks). Please remember to replace them in the event they get used.
Parent Volunteers: We are allowed to have parent volunteers but we would still like to limit the exposure to the children. Parent volunteers will be in the class. You will be asked to wear a mask for the entire time you are in class (the mask must cover your nose and mouth). We will provide food preparation gloves for preparing the snack. We will have some daily cleaning jobs and at times we may have you assist at project time. **If you are not feeling well or you are showing symptoms of COVID on your scheduled Parent Helper day, please do not come into the school. If possible please arrange to have someone attend in your place. If you cannot find a replacement, please notify the school office and make arrangements to have the snack dropped off at the school.
Social Distancing: We will continue to practice social distancing inside and outside of the classroom. We will continue to space the children out for inside play, snack and project time. We will ask families to come into the school and hallway a few at a time (maximum of six children with their attending adult). Staff and parents have indicated they would like dismissal at the main entrance doors. The last 15 minutes of class will be used for dressing and arriving at the entrance doors. Please be on time to pick up your child. If you will be late, please inform the school office so we can let your child know that you are coming to get them.
Cleaning: We will continue to maintain the regular cleaning protocols as mandated by Alberta Health. High touch surfaces will be cleaned regularly.
Illness: If your child is exhibiting illness symptoms, we ask that you keep your child home for at least 48 hours or until they are symptom free. COVID testing is at your discretion. Please keep us informed of your child’s health status. Please let us know if your child has any ongoing health conditions that we should know about (allergies, etc.).
Field Trips & Social Events: We will continue to monitor the COVID situation and will work with our Board of Directors to decide on our protocols for field trips and social events this year. There may be extra precautions or changes to how we manage bus trips, venues and events to ensure the safety of the children.
Supplies Needed for September
For September, please purchase the following items for school: 1 Back pack – please label it with their name. 1 pair of indoor shoes (to be left at school) – please label them with your child’s name. Please purchase Velcro closures if your child cannot tie their own shoes yet. We will be using the individual storage boxes in class again this year and will supply each child with a pair of scissors, a pack of crayons, a pencil, eraser and a glue stick. We will refill the supplies as needed.
Subsidy for Preschool
The Government of Alberta has re-introduced subsidy for preschool programs!! Household incomes up to $90000.00. Apply online by computer, tablet or mobile phone. https://www.alberta.ca/child-care-subsidy.aspx You can begin to apply on August 16th for September subsidy start date. Questions? – Alberta Supports Contact Center 1-877-644-9992 Or email@example.com Enter our school name: Londonderry Child Development Society You will need to complete the Canada Revenue Agency CRA Consent Applicant Declaration & Acknowledgement form. You will also need a MyAlberta Digital ID (MADI) for interacting with the Government (new applicants allow 10 days for receiving your confirmation code. Subsidy dollars will be dispersed directly to the school. Families still pay their monthly fee by the 1st of each month and then the school will reimburse at the end of each month.
All cleaning dates are held on the first Monday of each month from 6:30pm to approximately 8:30pm in the LCDS classroom. We will have one day time cleaning, only for parents who cannot make an evening cleaning. There will be 5 slots available for each cleaning date. Sign up sheets will be available at orientation.
The first cleaning date will be on Monday, October 4th, 2021.
The following Classroom Cleaning Dates are available:
Monday, October 4th, 2021
Monday, November 1st, 2021
Monday, November 29th, 2021
Monday, January 3rd, 2022
Monday, February 7th, 2022
Monday, March 7th, 2022
Monday. April 4th, 2022
Monday May 2nd, 2022
Daytime cleaning – Thursday June 2nd, 2022
Please sign up with the office.
It is your responsibility to find a replacement worker for your shift if you are unable to make the cleaning date. Please call the office (24 hours in advance) or speak with
WE ARE IN NEED OF A BINGO COORDINATOR(S)!!! PLEASE SPEAK TO THE OFFICE OR BOARD PRESIDENT TO VOLUNTEER.
Kool-aid Play Dough
This is the recipe for the playdough we use in the classroom.
4-5 cups flour
4 pkgs Kool-Aid (not grape or lemonade)
1 cup salt
6 Tbsp. oil
4 cups boiling water
Whisk together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir until cool enough to knead. Knead completely until cool. Store in a sealed container or Ziploc bag in the fridge. If you can’t find Kool-Aid packets at the store you can order them online.
Emergency Parent Helper List
LCDS will be creating an Emergency Parent Helper list where you may call a person from the list and pay them to attend in your place. The cost of the Emergency Parent Helper will be $25.00; the scheduled parent will be responsible for supplying the scheduled snack unless they have made arrangements with the Emergency Parent Helper. Parents who are interested in being on the paid Emergency Parent Helper list should contact the school office.
Casino & Bingo Dates 2021-2022
The Bingo halls and Casinos have re-opened with the recent lifting of COVID restrictions. We have not received any information for our Casino that should have been scheduled for the April – June quarter of 2021. We will update you when we have our dates. All Bingo Events are held a Kensington Bingo Hall, 12538-132 Avenue Bingo events are held on Saturday or Sunday afternoons from 10:30 am – 3:45 pm. (We need to fill the September and October bingo dates first please) Please email the school office with your choices. Each family must work 2 Bingo events (2 workers at one event or 1 worker at 2 events)
Sunday, September 26th, 2021
Sunday, January 23rd, 2022
Saturday, October 16th, 2021
Saturday February 17th, 2022
Sunday, November 21st, 2021
Saturday, March 19th, 2022
Sunday, December 12th, 2021
Sunday, May 22nd, 2022
Thank you to all of those families who have already signed up for their bingo dates. If you haven’t signed up please see the school office. Our first scheduled Bingo Date is:
Sunday, September 26th, 2021
Kensington Bingo Hall
10:30 am – 3:45 pm
The following families are scheduled to work this Bingo: Sandhu – 2 workers Fossen – 2 workers Nghiem – 1 worker WE NEED WORKERS FOR THIS BINGO! PLEASE SIGN UP! 8 more workers are still needed to fill this bingo date, Sign up with the office if you haven’t signed up for your 2 Bingo events. If you are not able to make your scheduled Bingo date, it is up to you to find a replacement worker for your shift(s). Please speak to the office if you need to hire a paid worker to attend in your place. If you have an emergency and you are not able to make your scheduled Bingo or you will be late, please call… WE ARE IN NEED OF A BINGO COORDINATOR(S)!!! PLEASE SPEAK TO THE OFFICE OR BOARD PRESIDENT TO VOLUNTEER. Please keep in mind last minute replacements are very difficult to fill and you will be responsible for paying the replacement worker(s) ($50 per worker).